Any doubts about whether Clemson can win another national title were put to rest and Southern California and Texas played another classic.
Before the defending national champions thumped Heisman Trophy winner Lamar Jackson and No. 14 Louisville and the Trojans survived the Longhorns on Saturday night, the theme of week three of the college football season was discontentment, especially in Nebraska.
The Top 25 thoughts, takeaways and takedowns:
1. In an overtime loss to No. 4 USC , Texas showed it is closer to being “back” than at any point in years.
2. And in with a gutty win, it is getting easier to believe in these Trojans.
3. Not only is Nebraska not back, but the Cornhuskers reached a new low with a 21-17 loss at home to Northern Illinois. Suddenly, the Bo Pelini years don’t look so bad, and being a great guy is not going to help coach Mike Riley much with Cornhuskers fans — and at least one vocal former Huskers great .
4. Nebraska might never again be what it once was under Tom Osborne, but losing to a MAC team had never happened before — and never should be acceptable for the Cornhuskers.
5. Yes, Riley did receive a contract extension this week.