A second house-destroying fire prompted Tuesday’s U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission advisory against using one brand of hoverboard, while seven other brands were recalled.
Among the seven was Drone Nerds, sold only online or in its Aventura store.
The problem with the recalled hoverboards, as stated in each recall notice: “The lithium-ion battery packs in the self-balancing scooters/hoverboards can overheat, posing a risk of the products smoking, catching fire and/or exploding.”
While that problem has flared up with some of the recalled hoverboards, none report the kind of damage blamed on LayZ Board hoverboards. That’s the brand singled out for the CPSC’s stay-away recommendation Tuesday after an Oct. 23 Manchester Township, Pennsylvania, house fire that the CPSC says destroyed one townhouse and damaged four others.
Nobody died, unlike the March 10, 2017, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, house fire that killed two girls, a 10-year-old and a 2-year-old. A Harrisburg firefighter died when his car was crashed into on the way to the fire. After that conflagration started by a recharging LayZ Board hoverboard, the CPSC issued an advisory that consumers should stop using the hoverboards. LayZ Board imported about 3,000 from China.
A CPSC spokeswoman said all the recalled hoverboards fell short of UL 2272, the Underwriters Laboratories parameters that the UL website says “evaluates the safety of the electrical drive train system and battery and charger system combinations of hoverboards and other 1-wheel, 2-wheel, x-wheel (which includes…