It’s that time of year again where major league baseball’s free agency will spark a lot of rumors and a lot of deals in teams hopes that a player will bring them one step closer to a championship.
Nine players have received $17.4 million qualifying offers from their teams, and a total of 166 players have filed for free agency.
The majority of deals are expected to take place during next month’s in Orlando, Fla. As the league’s general manager meetings have come and gone, teams are trying to scramble in identifying players that will help their teams in the future.
The Reiter 50: MLB’s Best Free Agents | MLB Free Agent Compensation Rules
Here is the latest news and rumors from around the league.
Rumors and News
• The Cardinals have submitted a formal trade offer to the Marlins for National League MVP Giancarlo Stanton (MLB.com)
• The Red Sox and Phillies continue to be interested in free-agent first baseman/designated hitter Carlos Santana. (MLB.com)
• The Yankees have moved to the front and seem poised to sign two–way star Shohei Otani (FanRag Sports)
• The Baltimore Orioles are reportedly interested in pitchers Alex Cobb and Lance Lynn. (MLB.com)
• The Philadelphia Phillies are among the teams showing interest in free-agent reliever Jake McGee. (MLB.com)