The Latest: Chief says 10 officers hurt in St. Louis protest

ST. LOUIS — The Latest on acquittal of a white former police officer in the shooting death of a black man in St. Louis (all times local):

1:25 a.m.

Ten law enforcement officers have been injured during protests in St. Louis after a judge acquitted a white former police officer in the shooting death of a black man.

St. Louis interim police Chief Lawrence O’Toole says nine city officers were hurt Friday and one State Highway Patrol officer. One city officer suffered a broken jaw and another a dislocated shoulder.

O’Toole says 23 arrests were made before 6 p.m. He didn’t yet know the total number of arrests that occurred after that time.

Police said earlier that two officers were injured when bricks were thrown.

The protests were in reaction to former officer Jason Stockley being found not guilty of first-degree murder Friday in the 2011 death of Anthony Lamar Smith.


11:15 p.m.

St. Louis police say two officers have been taken to the hospital with injuries sustained from thrown bricks during protests in the Central West End district of St. Louis.

The department announced in a tweet that one officer had a serious injury from a brick thrown at Kingshighway and Waterman, then five minutes later said a second was headed to the hospital as well. No other information was immediately released.

Peaceful protests Friday turned violent when protesters broke a window and splattered paint on Mayor Lyda Krewson’s house. Police in riot gear responded, moved the crowd away from the house and eventually broke up the group with tear gas. Later, at least two armored vehicles were deployed.

The protests began Friday morning after a white former St. Louis officer was found not guilty of first-degree murder in the shooting death of a black suspect.

10:35 p.m.

Protesters have broken a front window and splattered red paint at St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson’s home, and police have responded in force, using tear gas to disperse the crowd.

Several hundred chanting protesters marched to the house Friday night following the earlier acquittal of a former police officer in a 2011 shooting death. Two rang the doorbell but no one responded.

After the window was broken, police in bullet-proof vests and helmets arrived and demanded that the protesters get off the lawn and out of the street in front of the house.

Several dozen more officers with shields and full riot gear later arrived and forced the protesters down the street toward another equally large group of police in full riot…

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *