The Latest: Emergency talks held on London subway blast

LONDON — The Latest on the London subway attack and manhunt for suspects (all times local):

2:05 p.m.

British officials have held an emergency Cabinet meeting to discuss the terror threat facing the country after a London subway blast injured more than two dozen people.

Home Secretary Amber Rudd chaired the Saturday session, which included ministers and senior police.

She was due to be briefed on the morning arrest of an 18-year-old man suspected of a role in the partial detonation of a device on a subway train at Parsons Green station that injured 29 people. The man was arrested in the port of Dover, where ferries link Britain and France.

Officials have left the terrorist threat level at “critical,” suggesting that other suspects in the bombing are still at large.

Hundreds of troops have been deployed at public sites throughout Britain to beef up security.


10:45 a.m.

British police say they have arrested an 18-year-old man in connection with the London subway attack.

Police say the man has been arrested by Kent police in the port area of Dover on the English Channel.

Deputy Assistant Police Commissioner Neil Basu says that it’s a “significant arrest.” He said the investigation is ongoing and the terror threat level remains at “critical.”

The man is being held for questioning under the Terrorism Act. He has not been charged or identified.

A bomb partially exploded on a London subway train at Parsons Green station Friday morning, leaving 29 people wounded, including those with burns and injuries from an ensuing stampede.


8:20 a.m.

London transport authorities say they have re-opened the station where a bomb partially detonated on a subway car, injuring 29 people.

The blast sent what witnesses described as a fireball through the packed train during the Friday morning rush hour. The injuries, some from the explosion and others from an ensuing stampede, where not thought to be life-threatening.

Transport for London said that the Parsons Green station in southwest London station had reopened at 1:30 a.m. on Saturday, more than 17 hours after the explosion.

British authorities increased the country’s terror threat level to “critical,” meaning they think another attack may be imminent. No arrests have been made and a major manhunt for suspects is underway. British soldiers are being deployed across the country at public sites to assist police.


7:35 a.m.

British authorities are searching for suspects in the London subway blast that injured more than two…

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *