The Latest: Protesters disband, say they'll return Sunday

ST. LOUIS — The Latest on protests over the acquittal of a white former St. Louis police officer in the killing of a black suspect (all times local):

9:15 p.m.

After three hours of marching and chanting in and near a popular entertainment district in the St. Louis suburb of University City, protesters have disbanded with plans to gather and demonstrate again Sunday afternoon in St. Louis.

Police had maintained a heavy presence, including a helicopter overhead, but never deployed officers during the peaceful march Saturday evening.

The quiet evening came after Friday night’s marches, where there was sporadic vandalism and violence. Some in the group went to Mayor Lyda Krewson’s home and broke a window and splattered paint. A heavy police contingent responded and eventually broke up that group with tear gas.


7:50 p.m.

St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson is encouraging residents not to change their plans as protesters stage a second day of marches and disruptions after the acquittal of a white former police officer who fatally shot a black man.

Both Krewson and interim police Chief Lawrence O’Toole said the protests have been largely peaceful and residents shouldn’t change plans because of them.

Krewson says she’s disappointed that concerts by U2 and English singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran had been canceled this weekend.

Protesters broke a window and splattered red paint on Krewson’s house Friday night. She wasn’t home, but her family was. She called the vandalism “irritating,” but said she thinks the issues that have stirred the protests are “real impediments to the success of our city.”


7:10 p.m.

St. Louis police say there were 33 arrests, 11 injured officers and property damage to Mayor Lyda Krewson’s house during Friday protests.

They also say there was damage to two police vehicles, the St. Louis Public Library and 10 businesses as protesters marched downtown and in the Central West End.

St. Louis interim police Chief Lawrence O’Toole says Saturday evening that five officers were taken to hospitals after being hit with bottles or bricks. The arrests of protesters included many for failure to disperse, resisting and interfering.

Saturday evening, protesters staged a six-minute die-in to bring attention to the six years between suspect Anthony Lamar Smith’s death in 2011 and Stockley’s trial.


6:30 p.m.

A few hundred protesters were beginning a march in the St. Louis suburb of University City in the latest of two days of demonstrations in…

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *