The Latest: Some public transportation halted after violence

ST. LOUIS — The Latest on protests over the acquittal of a white former St. Louis police officer in the killing of a black suspect (all times local):

1 a.m.

Violence during a protest in a St. Louis suburb has forced the public transportation agency Metro to suspend light rail and bus service to that area until Sunday.

Metro said on Twitter that because of the violence and vandalism, it will not serve the Delmar Loop station overnight. It did not say specifically when service would resume.

The St. Louis area has seen two days of sometimes violent protests in the wake of a judge’s ruling on Friday acquitting former police officer Jason Stockley of first-degree murder. Stockley fatally shot a drug suspect after a chase in 2011. Stockley is white. The man killed, Anthony Lamar Smith, was black.

Nearly three dozen people were arrested Friday. Saturday’s arrest total has not been released.


11:30 p.m.

Violence has erupted after hundreds of police moved in to confront a small group of protesters who refused to disperse after a march in the St. Louis suburb of University City, a popular area with restaurants, bars and shopping.

Shortly before 11 p.m. Saturday, the police formed lines and pushed the demonstrators down the street, eventually announcing that the protest had become unlawful and ordering demonstrators to disperse.

Protesters fled down the street, throwing items such as water bottles, trash cans and trash can lids at police and breaking business windows as they went. There was a constant pop, pop, pop of breaking glass.

People scrambled for safety in alleys and parking garages. Restaurant patrons huddled in corners to remain safe.

It was unclear if anyone was injured. Several people were seen in handcuffs.


9:15 p.m.

After three hours of marching and chanting in and near a popular entertainment district in the St. Louis suburb of University City, protesters have disbanded with plans to gather and demonstrate again Sunday afternoon in St. Louis.

Police had maintained a heavy presence, including a helicopter overhead, but never deployed officers during the peaceful march Saturday evening.

The quiet evening came after Friday night’s marches, where there was sporadic vandalism and violence. Some in the group went to Mayor Lyda Krewson’s home and broke a window and splattered paint. A heavy police contingent responded and eventually broke up that group with tear gas.


7:50 p.m.

St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson is encouraging residents not to change…

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *