Supreme Court gives permission for the Jagannath Rath Yatra

0
338
Supreme Court gives permission for the Jagannath Rath Yatra
Supreme Court gives permission for the Jagannath Rath Yatra

In the hearing held on Monday, a bench of the Supreme Court, which was presided over by CJI Sharad Arvind Bobde, allowed Lord Jagannath Rath Yatra to be done in full. A bench of the Supreme Court headed by CJI Sharad Arvind Bobde made it clear that Jagannath Rath Yatra which is going to be completed in Puri on June 23 can be done but the Supreme Court has asked to do this with some restrictions. There are certain conditions laid down in this regard. In this, the state government, the Center government and the temple committee were asked to work for the smooth conduct of the Rath Yatra.

Apart from this, the Supreme Court of the country has ordered that there will be no compromise on the health of the people to fight COVID-19. For this, the court has given a strict order to the Government of Odisha to stop the Rath Yatra in case of public health emergency. Go In Lord Jagannath Rath Yatra about 12 -14 devotees usually gather for Rath Yatra.

Arguments in the SC

During the hearing on this in the apex court, both the state government and the Center had argued that the Rath Yatra can be conducted by taking all precautions in the Rath Yatra. Solicitor General Tushar Mehta had argued that the central government can take out the Rath Yatra without affecting the public space, assuming all health precautions. This includes allowing only priests who tested negative for COVID-19 to conduct rituals with a ban on the congregation of people. He further said that devotees can watch the Jaganath Yatra live broadcast on the TV itself. Mehta said that we have to maintain this tradition which has been going on for centuries if the Rath Yatra continues then Lord Jagannath cannot come for the next 12 years.

Counsel for the original petitioner (Odisha Development Council) expressed concern about the growing COVID-19 cases in the state. At present, 5160 Corona cases have been confirmed in the state of Odisha, out of which 3720 patients have just recovered and gone home, 14 people have died from COVID-19. However, senior advocate Harish Salve, appearing for the Odisha government, agreed to the Solicitor General’s proposal.

As per Previous Order about the Jagannath rath yatra

On Monday, a plea came to the SC’s challenging the order of the Rath Yatra. Earlier in the order of June 18, the Supreme Court in its final order stated that it was in the interest of public health and safety of devotees. In this, Article 25 of the Constitution gives the right to freely promote and propagate religion under health. The order said that no secular or religious activities related to the rath yatra will be allowed during this corona period.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here